50% of those affected with Rare Disease are Children!
Of those children, 30% will not live to see their 5th birthday.
Rare Disease is responsible for 35% of all deaths (of any cause) during the first year of life!
Less than 5% of Rare Diseases currently have a FDA approved disease altering therapy that permanently cures or stops the disease.
- 1 in 10 have a Rare Disease.
- over 7,000 Rare Diseases … 30 million Americans, 30 million Europeans, and over 350 million world-wide are affected by Rare Disease.
- 80% of Rare Diseases are genetic.
- If all Rare Disease patients live together we would be the 3rd most populous country.
- 50% of those affected with Rare Disease are children.
- 30% of Rare Disease children will not live to see their 5th birthday
- Rare disease is responsible for 35% of all deaths the first year of life.
- Less than 5% of the Rare Diseases have a FDA approved therapy.
February is Rare Disease month, culminating on February 29th – a Rare Day indeed – which is Rare Disease Day.
Stay tuned for month of Rare Disease facts, tidbits and things to know.
Sign up to follow this blog and be sure to share this post.